Thursday, May 19, 2011

Wassaw Island/ Beach Combing! Lots of Pics

Today we went to Wassaw Island.... There were two groups of five that went on boats one that left from the school docks at 7:30AM and the other one that left to another pick up spot at 7:45AM. I was on the long boat trip (1 hour-ish). I was on a little boat for the second time of my life.. so of course I was acting like a tourist. 


The lovely sun above the water. 

The docks where we left off of. The docks move according to high or low tides.

Another docks. There were a lot of docks that pertained to different house. I put it as having your garage of cars. 

Docks... Nicer ones? I guess

Boat was ripping it. The scenery is nice and comforting =D.

Slow motor and salt marshes all over the right side.

open water. slow rider here.

Big House! Mansion


Small Picture. I think my camera was dirty.. There are spots on my face -_-


Incoming of boat... Wassaw Island Sight (Barrier Island)

On the Island Pretty excited with Baggies for beach shells and animals. 

Star Fishes (tide was low) this was at 9ish AM. At around 10AM... The tide was high and the star fishes were covered =(

These starfishes are flexible. 

A Shell!

Me having some bonding time with a jelly fish. 

The Waves

I forgot what this was, but its not fungi. lol

Self Picture

My payless sandals. (speaking of payless. I think the term "payless" can no longer be applied. These babies were like $22.00!) My mom thought they were 10. 

Interesting sight of a tree. Dr. Gillian told us that the tides were coming up really high and eroding the sand dunes and exposing the tree roots. Eventually, they topple over (law of gravity).


More trees with roots exposed. 

Impact of waves on trees

Taryn, Sequoia, and Lauren walking in front.

These are tree roots!

More Trees residue


LOW TIDE

HIGH TIDE

Morgan, built in 1898 on Wassaw Island during the Spanish-American War.


I piece of granite I spotted and grabbed. Very lucky to find one lingering.

Due to the massive swarms of black flies (eek!), we had to leave a little early. BTW ! They bite and made my skin itch. I had a wonderful time. I collected many shells like the ones above and I identified some of them. I found an oliver shell (i think??) I was so tired after all this that I took a 4 hour nap. 

That was my day. TADA.

No comments:

Post a Comment